View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
(male)

Zacmaniac HB User
Persistent Stomachache, lasted over 2 months

Since the beginning of April, I have had an awful stomachache that simply won't go away. Right when it started, I went to the family doctor. He couldn't figure out what was wrong, so he sent me to have an abdominal CT scan done. When the results got back, everything looked normal, except that the lymph nodes in my stomach were quite enlarged. He again didn't really know what to make of this, so he sent me to a gastrointestinal center. The doctor there couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, either, so he put me on a one week regimen of Cipro, an antibiotic, and scheduled me for another CT scan and a colonoscopy in a month. The Cipro seemed to help slightly, but after the week I went back on my previous antibiotic, that I had been on for about 7 months, Doxycyline, for an eye condition.

I endured the month, though the stomachache and pretty much constant nausea feeling (though, strangely, I never puked, just had a constant feeling of nausea) persisted and never seemed to let up. The CT scan was two weeks ago, as was the colonoscopy. The new CT scan showed the lymph nodes very slightly shrunken, but basically the same as last time. He didn't find anything in the colonoscopy. Annoyingly, he basically told me now that he doesn't know what is wrong and to check back in three months. Obviously this is really aggravating to me, as I've had to deal with this for the past two months and just want it to go away.

The thing that SEEMED to cause this was a week-long stint of extreme alcohol drinking. Each night I drank about half of a fifth. The stomachache came up after about five days, and I stopped drinking. I've only drank about three times since then, but the stomachache hasn't gone away at all. I can't think of any other lifestyle changes I made around that time that would cause anything like this.

Since my colonoscopy and the doctor giving me no good news, just that all the results were showing up as normal, I tried Prilosec. It has had little to no effect. I also stopped taking the Doxycycline at the same time, in case that was causing the stomachache, but as I said, the stomachache has continued since then.

Any advice or tips on things to try would be much appreciated.