View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
(female)

LindaG40 HB User
Re: Adenomas/FNHs/Hemangiomas (x9)

Hi Ladies!

Katesela, I had to chuckle at your post about your mom. I went through the same thing with my mom right before my surgery was scheduled and I thought I was going to go crazy! I went to my dad and asked him to talk to her and tell her to back off before I snapped at her. She did a lot of the same things to me, and now that I think about it, my whole family (aunt, cousins, brother, sister) gave me a hard time on Thanksgiving because I had a glass of wine with my dinner. Thank God I had my dad sitting next to me, he poured me a second glass when I asked for it!

Here's what my hepatologist told me about everything:

- alcohol: you're going to want your liver to be as healthy as possible and ready to heal, so cut back or cut out all alcohol for now (this was six weeks before I was supposed to have surgery). As stated above, I still had a couple of glasses of wine on Thanksgiving. At the time the doctor told me this, I was having a glass of wine every night with dinner.

- exercise: I had already experienced a rupture, so I was told not to run or do any exercise that had me jumping around a lot. The adenomas seemed to be unstable, based on the rupture, so we didn't want that to happen again. I was swimming, walking, and doing yoga at the time, and he seemed to be okay with it. Listen to your body.

- diet: if your doctor and nutritionist are okay with what you are eating, then you should be fine. My surgeon told me that post-op I would need to eat a high-protein diet, a lot of meat especially, because the liver is trying to regenerate. But I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, so I didn't have a problem with that.

- Advil: I used to take Advil for pain all the time, but had to stop when my adenoma ruptured. I didn't want to risk bleeding out, so I switched to Tylenol. My doctor did not have a problem with that.

Again, once you have surgery scheduled, the doctor will let you know what you can and can't do pre/post op. The main thing I focused on was getting my body to be as strong and healthy as possible so that my recovery time wouldn't be so bad.

One thing my doctor did not mention, but the nurse practitioner at hospital admitting told me, is to stop taking fish oil vitamins a week prior to surgery. I had listed all meds and vitamins in my file, but the surgeon did not say I had to stop anything, just not take them the day of surgery. I am only taking OTC Claritin, multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin B1 (it helps prevent mosquito bites and reactions).

And so here I am, a year after my rupture and six months after my surgery was cancelled, and I'm doing fine! I don't drink wine every night with dinner, but I will have a glass a couple of times a week (more, depending on the occasion!). I am still swimming 3x/week, yoga 2x/week, and then I spend my weekends hiking and kayaking. The important thing is to live a healthy lifestyle. I'll see how things are going when I go back for my CT in October, but until then, I'm having FUN!

Linda