View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
(female)

blueslover HB User
Teenage son gouging, clawing face until bloody

Help! My son is 17. Just last week, after an argument with his girlfriend, he clawed his face, neck and chest to the point of drawing blood. He looked like Iggy Pop.... It broke my heart. This is the second time he has done this... only the first time he hid the marks and would not tell me what happened. I know this is from stress, and not knowing how to handle his emotions. I am having him talk to a doctor next week.

He has had Crohn's disease for several years now, and just had surgery in March. Physically, he is improving, but he had to drop out of high school due to his illness. He plans to get his GED and do web design. He has spent a lot of time alone, except for his online friends. He is highly intelligent and a talented musician. He has become increasingly antisocial, though, and now that he is able to get out some, he acts uninterested. He tried Lexapro once before and claimed it didn't help. Since he has been sick so long, he is reluctant to trust doctors, medications and hates taking pills.

Does anyone have any experience with this? He has not cut himself, but drawing blood with your fingernails doesn't seem that much different. Any opinions, suggestions or comments will be appreciated.