Thread: Butterfly rash?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Butterfly rash?

Hi. Like everything else in lupus (so it seems), I've read there's a range of appearance, e.g., from light pink to deeper color; from smooth skin to little pustules; etc. And I recently saw something on how you distinguish rosacea from a butterfly rash. (I didn't understand it, unfortunately.)

Have your drs. seen your rash? Did you get your ANA result back yet? Did your kidney dr. *also* order more specific autoantibody tests, like anti-ds-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-Ro, anti-La, etc.?

While blood results are certainly key aspects of a Dx, they aren't the only ones, as you can see from the ACR criteria, which are laid out in one of the "sticky posts" at the top of the thread list. I learned this the long & hard way, as I am in that VERY small percent who remained ANA-negative but was positive for anti-Ro. I really hope your recent tests bring clarity. Let us know how you're doing, OK? And good luck! Sincerely, Vee