View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Hi old friend and hello new friends!! Been awhile since I posted here! Just checking

Hello friends.

well it has been quite some time since I have posted over here. So I thought I would check in and let you know how I am doing.

Just a brief re-cap.

Last year in May I came to this forum because I was detoxing off some medications for a work related injury to my left arm. I had 4 surgeries on that arm.
I am also am addict and alcoholic in recovery and I am very active in my recovery and attend 12 step groups and functions. I am not sponsoring anyone at this time but have been in service in that way in the past.

I am in Pain Management again due to the fact that right after getting off all the pain meds and recovering from the 4 arm surgeries ... I was really almost pain free.
Unfortunately right as the workers comp case was closing, and I had been pff all medications and doing well for about 3-4 weeks, I was in an MVA that left with a bad neck injury. SOrry to say but I was shoved right back into the cycle of pain meds and Pain management.
All the while I have still going to 12 step meetings and working with my 12 step sponsor who has 33 years of sobriety.

At this time I am unable to make as many meetings as I would like to make due tothe fact of my physical condition...hard to sit for an hour. I did complete the spring semester of collerge and had planned to apply to the Nursing program at my college, but was told by my doctors not to do so. So I did not apply and was now going to plan for spring of 2009, but even that may now be put off untill 2010. I had a neck surgery in Jan of this year and was told at that time I would need to be fused later so now I am awaiting another surgery that hopefuly will be in Aug. Sad to say but the docs are telling me no school this fall.

How do I deal with all the pain and injury, the medications and life on lifes terms as an addict/alcoholic in recovery??? Well, this is how I do it and I am in no way trying to tell anyone how they should do it. Only sharinging what has been working for me for almost 4 years now. I actually would have had 8 years this past Jully 13th but unfortunatley the desire to drink and use drugs became more than the desire to stay sober and I relapsed for 60 days about 2 weeks before I would have had 4 years. My original sobriety date was July 13th 2000 and my knew sobriety date is September 9th 2008. This 4 year mark is very special to me since I never made it to the first one.

This time around I did something different! Everything! I jumped right back into 12 step recovery and got a sponsor (not the sponsor I have today) and started to work on myself. I went to treatment and 2 days after getting out and going back to work I injured myself on the job. Since I have been sober this time around I have been thrown a lot of health and pain curve balls. I have managed to stay sober through all of it, with the help of others and God.

The way I have done this is to get a sponsor and work the 12 step and find a Higher Power that I choose to call God. I have applied the 12 step principles to my life. Despite the injuries and despite trying to learn how to be sober the rest of my life has moved forward and I have been able to go to college to pursue my dream of being a nurse. I have carried a 3.5 GPA for 3 years, who'd of thought this ole druggy would be able to accomplish that! See what you can do!! Because of the injuries It has been a slow going process with the amount of classes I can take at a time. Now with this neck stuff were at the point where all the scool is on hold. This was a really tough thing for me to accept because after the work injuy came to an end I was excited to go back into the work feild only to find that God had some other plan.

I share my story because I hope that it will give others HOPE! I was so spiritually sick while abusing drugs (Methamphetamines was my Drug of choice for 20 years). I have to work on my sobriety every day. I can actually say that because I maintained a spiritual fitness, the craving to use and abuse drugs and alcohol has been lifted for me. I get a daily reprieve!

Drugs and alcohol are no longer a solution for anything in my life.

Reachout...I am sure you still must be around! You and so many others here have touched my life in many many ways. Thank you.

I will need to do some catching up here in the near future. Right now I am having a tough time typing so I must stop for a while.

God bless you all! I will pray for all those addics and alcoholics that are sober or struggling to stay sober. There is another way of life out there just waiting for you. I won't say it is all a bowl of cherries, but what life does not have its ups and downs? I have just learned how to handle them differently, and you can too.

I have a lot going on in my life right now. Many fears and uncertianties, but I guess the only thing that keeps me going is that I trust the process and I believe in my higher Power which to me is GOd. Again...I am in no way at all trying to push my beliefs or anything on anyone else. Only sharing what works for me.

God Bless,

Your Friend Chrissy