View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
(male)

mitch512u HB User
Betaserone vs. Fingolomid (?)

Hi all.
I've not been taking any DMD's for about 6 months now. I seem to be more sensitve to the heat now than any time in the past and my foot drop is getting worse. I have had some new issues also, leg tremors and cramping in my left calf. I saw my neuro. on June 18 and he once again asked me about doing a clinical trial for Fingolimod(?). His concern is that I seem to be getting worse, although not horribly fast.
He pointed out that men dx'd later in life, I was 52 at the time, tend to have a faster disease progression. Well, 2 day's ago I spoke with a good friend of mine who is a pharmaceutical rep.(he reps the co. that makes Betaserone) and he said virtually the same thing my neuro. did about the increased risk of rapid progression due to my age and gender and that I really should start taking some type of DMD.

Now that I have decent insurance I can now afford a rx'd DMD and am not compelled to take part in clinical trials in order to get treatment. I would like
to hear from anyone who is familiar with either of these drugs. Side affects, perceived efficacy, etc. I am pretty sure I will ask neuro. for a rx for the Betaserone as in the clinical trial for Fingolimod you have a 2 in 3 chance of getting the the drug and I'm not sure that would be the wise choice for me at this point.

Your input will be greatly appreciate.

Neil