View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
(male)

roybus14 HB User
Ulcerative Colitis Flare-Up

My wife has UC and she had a flare-up that caused her to be in the hospital for a week. She is home now but she is still going through it so to speak with diarhea, nausea, and vomiting. Her doctor prescribed her Prednisone to reduce the imflammation in the colon but now it appears that it is making her sick so the doctor advised her to cut down on the dose from one full pill to a half.

The doctor also informed us of all of the issues with UC and how UC is a ugly thing to have and treat. My wife has lost close to 20lbs. in the past week and a half because she can't hold anything down. She was given nausea medicine but that ain't working either. The doctor has put her out on rest for another two weeks to get the immflamation down. I guess my question is, when experiencing a bad flare-up that requires hospitalization, what is the recovery time and how long does it to get it under control again? Also, what can be done to control the nausea and vomit if medicine is not working? She is also taking Lialda in addition to the Prednisone.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. This is new to us and it's tough to deal with. Because we don't know that much about it, questions about what the doctor is doing and whether or not it's working are starting to pop in our heads...

Best Regards,
Roybus14 (extremely concerned husband)

Last edited by roybus14; 07-25-2008 at 07:30 PM.