View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

sosarah HB User
Autoimmune Disorder? or not?

Hi, I am new to this board. I've been reading other posts and am hoping someone has some info for me. I have always been a "sickly kid" which is what my pediatrician wrote on my chart when I was 5. Constant sinus and ear infections with sinus surgery at 14 and 18. In my early twenties I had a severe "flare up" and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroid disease. Was out of work for 5 months, had severe pain and very high white count. Was treated with prednisone and hospitalized 4 times that year. Also had the flu, pneumonia, bronchitis and strep throat. Finally, started to feel better then developed Avascular Necrosis in both hips. By the time it was diagnosed, 6 months after the prednisone, the left hip was in stage 4 and the right in stage 3. All physicians involved said the prednisone dose was not enough to have caused it but did not have any other theory why it to developed. Went through multiple surgeries and am currently on 2nd hip prosthesis on left hip. Have pain with both hips along with severe muscle pain in neck and shoulders. Pain in neck was diagnosed as stenosis and there is a large bone spur. Flare ups have continued on and off for years and was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia and some osteoarthritis. Recently, developed a mucous filled cough and had another severe bout with sinus infection and pain. After 4 months and several antibiotics ENT did sinus surgery. When I was being prepped, anesthia asked why I didn't have oxygen. O2 had not been prescribed and my pulse ox was 75. Breathing treatments were administered before surgery. Surgery took 2.5 hours and ENT said there was lots of scarring and inflamation. The mucous I was spitting up was so sticky and thick it was horrible. Post surgery was great first 2 days then had most severe pain yet. After a few of weeks and still not better, ENT did a culture on mucous; they found pseudomonus bacteria. Did 2 months of IV antibiotics and got rid of the pseudomonus. Three weeks later, another culture was done and staph was found. It responded to oral antibiotics and I am currently "bug free" by culture.

I was referred to an Immunologist who did a lung CT for the cough and found bronchiectasis in right lung; blood work showed a low IGG level with a very low IGM level. I am currently receiving IVIG every month and am taking Advair for the throat/lung congestion.

During all of this, I have been doing research and I think I have an undiagnosed autoimmune disorder. I have had an elevated ANA count for years and an alternating high/normal SED rate. My thyroid levels have been fluctuating often and I was told I was in full menopause as well. I have menopause, diabetes, chronic pain, high cholesterol, Hashimoto's thyroid, fibromyalgia, arthritis and bronchiectasis and I am only 43 years old. Due to the AVN, no steroids except Advair are prescribed. Believe me, I don't want to have anything else but I feel we still haven't gotten to the root of the problem. What caused all of this to begin with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.