View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

kcf71 HB User
Questions before scan/RAI treatment

Hi all,

I'm sorry I've been gone for a while. Hope everyone is doing well

As some of you know I have a TT on June 9th and was diagnosed with 2 types of thyroid cancer (papillary and follicular). No one knew I had the cancer before the TT or when they took it out. It was only when the lab report came back that I found out.

Anyway, I'm scheduled for my body scan and RAI the week of August 11th (well the scan atleast). So because the thyroid rep. med can throw off the results, I've stopped the med on Monday. I have 2 questions:

1) What kind of symptoms could I have while off the med? I'm already extremely fatigued and mentally, have memory problems and a I'm ashamed to say, a really short fuse. It seems I'm super sensitive to everything (which isn't like me).

and

2) Does the RAI hurt at all? I'm thinking the worst part is having to stay away from everyone due to being radioactive. My doc told me about a week? Then I heard 2 weeks

I'm not really sure how worried to be about the cancer. I mean, obviously I'm concerned as it's cancer, but I know it's the "best" type to get should you get it, and it's the two slower growing ones out of the kinds you can get in the thyroid. From what I've been told by all docs, the prognosis is excellent.

Anyway, wishing you all a happy and healthy weekend,
Kellie