View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
(female)

footsiedee HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

lisaBdot...glad you are doing well. i find with a cane, i am still putting lots of weight on the foot, but if you are partial wb perhaps it is ok. only 1 1/2 more days to see your doc right? better safe than sorry. i am using a cane, but i think due to nwb i have trained myself to walk different and finding it tricky to get back to normal. at this point i am beginning to suspect i may always need the cane for long distance,like shopping. but then i had previous MVA injuries-back, leg, and hip. being off the foot for 6 weeks then becoming wb again is really messing with my muscles. i was told 23 yrs ago to use 2 canes, 1 for each side, to put as little stress as possible across the hip joint. i was 27, so of course i didnt, now i will start to pay for it. i went shopping and forgot my cane. ow, my back and leg muscles were so stiff and sore, so next store i used a crutch i found in the car. worked so much better. i like the stability of the crutch, and all your weight doesnt go on the handle as in using cane. because i get extra leverage from my whole body, hard to explain. not sure what surgery you had, i only had a bunionectomy. if yours was more complicated you may want to see what doc says monday. good healing!