View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Help! This is all new to me...

I third what Martha and Raffer have already said. I was your Mom. Trying to keep Mom and Dad (both have dementia) at home. Even with a sitter it was not working. It was the great people here that made me realize I was not only in denial but fighting a losing battle against a disease that was not only consuming my parents but also consuming me. My parents are now together in a nice Assisted Living apartment that specializes in care of dementia patients. Mom is not always happy with this arrangement but I know it is where they need to be..... and I have gotten most of my life back as well.

You might want to call your local Alzheimer Association Chapter. You can find them by searching the internet. They will have information, counselors, and support groups that may benefit your Mom. Some chapters are better than others but it is your best local resource.

Welcome to the forum. You have found a great place for information, ideas, support, and venting. We have all been there or are there. This group has put sanity back in my life. Hopefully it can do the same for you and your Mom. You are both welcome here. My heart goes out to your Mom as well as your grandmother. I am also impressed with you. You are a wise daughter! I will keep all three of you in my thoughts and prayers......

Love, deb