View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: when is it time to come off of Namenda?

I am in your same shoes Happy. Both or my parents are on Namenda and Aricept. Dad's dementia is vascular (misdiagnosed as ALZ to being with) and has been on both meds for over 5 years. They don't even claim to be effective in his dementia and he has been on the way too long. Mom has been on both for 2 years. I didn't see any marked improvement when she started but have seen an increase in her melt downs. I don't think any of them are doing either any good and the namenda is possibly doing more harm than good considering Mom's melt downs could be a side effect of the Namenda. If left to me, which it is not, I would take them both off the meds. The meds don't claim to cure or stop the disease, it only claims to slow the progress in some for a while. I believe the problem we have as family is that this is a disease with no hope, and those meds are our life lines to hope. It's a tiny little frayed rope, that we are not even sure where it is attached or if it is attached at all, but we hang on because that's all we have.

Welcome to the forum. Hope it is as beneficial as it has been for me. Grab a towel and hang on. Keep up informed as to the progress and know I will keep you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, deb