View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: 20 years Hypothyroid, never seen an Endocrinologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison83 View Post
My question is this - does anyone out there think I should request an Endocrinologist appointment via my GP? Do you think it would do me any good? From everything I've read on the net, I know having 2 autoimmune diseases means I may be susceptible to others, and I am wondering whether my muscular pains, lack of sleep and tiredness are something else, rather than side effects of my hypothyroidism.
Hi! It just may be that your symptoms are caused by your hypoT. Have you kept up with your labs and what did your latest labs say? It might do you good to see an endo if you don't get proper treatment from your GP. Over time your hypoT gets worse and your thyroid produces less and less not only T4 but T3 (which is the active thyroid hormone) too. A large part of the T3 needed is converted from T4 in your body and if you don't convert T4 to T3 properly you may need a higher FT4 to have enough "storage" for that convertion or some sort of a combo of T4 and T3 meds.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-27-2008 at 02:32 AM.