Thread: Agoraphobia?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
(female)

violet312s HB User
Re: Agoraphobia?

I know exactly how you feel. Diagnosed with "Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia". The agoraphobia bit comes with increased avoidance of certain activities or locations because you know you'll feel anxious. Eventually your brain associates a whole host of locations/activities with anxiety so your world starts to get very, very small.

Right after I started on Lexapro my world got so small I couldn't walk around the outside of my house without extreme anxiety. I had to have several doors open so I could get back to my "safe zone".

Once the Lexapro kicked in (3+ weeks...not advocating any particular medication therapy) things got better but ONLY in conjunction with cognitive-behavior therapy. Without therapy you're still operating without a toolbox to combat this.

I was able to get back to work, shopping, driving, interacting, etc. in three months. Only 6 weeks of active therapy...oh those side effects are horrid.

I still have a long way to go, but I have most of my life back...more importantly I have the world back.