View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

fudge86 HB User
Epilepsy and Pregnancy-- Help!

I am going to my neurologist on Friday to discuss the current status of my seizure disorder and if I need to begin the process of changing medications in order to ensure a safe pregnancy. However, I DO NOT plan on being pregnant any time soon, if at all, so I'm hesitant to even change meds.

I currently take Depakote ER, 500 mg daily. I have only had 5 seizures, spanning from 2002 to 2004, all in the morning just after waking up. I am completely controlled on medication, and I have very few side effects from the drug. Needless to say, I'm content on staying on Depakote for the rest of my life.

However, I've done a lot of research, and it seems that my medication is one of the worst AEDs to be on if you're pregnant. During our last visit, my doctor hinted at switching my medication soon after I graduated college.

Basically, I'm scared. Does anyone have any advice? What is the best AED to be on if you're pregnant? Has anyone had a baby while taking Depakote, and if so, were there any birth or developmental defects? I also am afraid of switching meds for the sole fact that I may have breakthrough seizures, which could very well occur while I am driving to work in the morning. I do not want this transition to affect my life, but I am afraid that it definitely will. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you