View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: HELP - thyroid test results???

Marie,

How old are you? Have you been through menopause? Are you on any estrogen/progesterone supplements (birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy)? All of these and more can effect the accuracy of the results of TOTAL T3 and T4 tests.

TSH - 2.53 (range .34-5.60) By pre 1990 standards this is normal. In 2002 the normal level was changed to (0.3-3.0). This was adjusted again to (0.3-2.5) in 2006. Your lab facilites are out of touch with the NACB and A A C E standards today. Optimal TSH is 0.89-1.1 in range. You are not optimal.

T4 - .77 (range .61-1.12) There is an inherent 20% error in these lab results.. this doesn't include added error related to age, sex/gender, and dietary and hormonal supplement regimes. SO you have to take total T results with a grain of salt. The recommended test is the FREE T4 test which is independent of diet, age, and sex/gender result interference as well as only having 2.5-5% inherent instrumentation error. These error issues hold true to the Total T3 versus FT3 as well. Now that that is out of the way.. my chemist half is appeased.. NUMBER TIME! Your level and the given range puts you at 31% of the normal range. Optimal is 50-80 % of range in most cases. As you get older the optimal range lowers.

T3 - 105 (range 80-200) This puts you at 20.8% of normal range. This is also sub optimal.

So I think you may be on to something. You are suboptimal in your thyroid levels and if you are of childbearing age you need to get them up. Your approximate levels look balanced so i do not suspect adrenal dysfunction at this time. I do think you need additional testing. I recommend that you get tested for Hashimoto's thyroiditis as well as Free T3 and Free T4 levels run.

The Hashimoto's thyroiditis lab codes are TPOAb and TGAb. The Free T3 and Free T4 lab codes are some times referred to as FT3 and FT4. Your MD/lab facilities should know these tests if you write them down.
TPOAb
TGAb
Free T3
Free T4
Now to make sure that you are not off in your nutrition, low B12, Ferritin, and vit D can cause or amplify hypothyroid symptoms, so it would be worth it to get your levels checked with a general metabolic panel and vit D, B12, and Ferritin added. Ferritin is not the same as iron. Your MD will have to write these added tests in so that they are included.

Good luck and I am sorry you are getting the MDum shuffle. Many of us went through 5 or more MDs til we found a keeper. Do not give up! Welcome to our board and this thyroid dysfunctional family. Hopefully we will be able to help you get the care you deserve.

Sincerely,
MG