View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
(female)

earlysunrise HB User
Re: DVT (deep vein thrombosis) blood clot

Hi! I am 37yo female and had a DVT October 2007 in the Pelvic and entire left leg. You can never really get rid of a DVT but there are treatments you can get in the hospitals. I under went treatments at NIH where they have to go into the vein and spray Heprin into the vein to dissolve the clot. It never fully dissolves the clot. I have over 80% recovery in my leg and over 50% recovery in the pelvic for blood flow. Find out from your doctor how much recovery you have in your leg. Exercise is the best thing for a DVT as it increases blood flow. I wear the compression stocking but not all the time.

Check with your physician about alternative options. You need to have a vascular surgeon's opinion in order to see if you need it and make sure the surgeon specializes in this. Not all hospitals offer the rotor router to clean these veins out.

The website site I copied down some surgical procedures which you need to look for when looking for a physician who does this where you will have to get a consultation to see if you qualify.

I had the catheter-directed thrombolysis treatment on my blood clots. I do not get the continuous swelling in my leg although I am still taking blood thinners.

Also if you have not done so already you need to find out what caused your clots. Is it genetics? Medical? Hormonal? I have two genetic causes, one medical (May-Thurner Syndrome) and hormones (birthcontrol). I no longer take birth control, they put a stint in the vein to correct the May-Thurner Syndrome (artery compressing on the vein cutting off blood flow to my leg) and genetics they can not correct.

I would make sure any trips you take in the future such as flying, car trips and etc you wear the compression stocking for the duration of the trip if nothing else as a precaution.

[url]http://www.*****.com/dvt/deep-vein-thrombosis-treatment-dvt[/url]

Deep Vein Thrombosis Treatment: Catheter-Directed Thrombolysis
Your body will dissolve a clot over time, but damage can occur inside your vein in the meantime. For this reason, your doctor may recommend a clot-busting drug called a thrombolytic agent.

This DVT treatment may be necessary:

For larger clots
If you're at high risk for pulmonary embolism
If you have DVT in an arm, instead of a leg
Catheter-directed thrombolysis rapidly breaks up a clot, restoring blood flow. It may also preserve valve function in the vein that contained the clot. The procedure is done in the hospital and carries a higher risk of bleeding problems and stroke than does anticoagulant therapy.

This is how a catheter-directed thrombolysis is done:

With imaging guidance, an interventional radiologist inserts a thin tube (catheter) into and through a vein in your leg.
The radiologist then puts the tip of the catheter into the clot and infuses a clot-busting drug directly into it.
If the vein appears narrowed, the radiologist may do a balloon angioplasty or stent placement to widen it and help prevent future blockages.

Venous thrombectomy. In very rare cases, surgery is required to remove a deep vein clot. This may be true if you have a severe type of deep vein thrombosis that does not respond well to nonsurgical DVT treatment. This is called phlegmasia cerulea dolens.

Best of luck. Sorry so long...just trying to help in form which there is very little information available.
Julie

Last edited by earlysunrise; 09-21-2008 at 06:31 AM.