View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Allergic reaction and Hashi's

Well I have been told Hashi's can be caused or worsened by allergic reactions.

Last Sunday I got stung by an yellow jacket out on my property.......I was so worried about having a severe reaction but did okay with only some localized pain and itching.....took a few benadryl....

Then had to leave out to Tulsa to work for week...Thursday night I go to get Baskin Robbins ice cream....I have not eaten ice cream in a year.....but love Peanut butter and chocolate ice cream from BR and have eaten many times over the years.....I get a big scoop in a cup.

I start eating it and my tounge starts tingling...I keep eating it..then my finger tips and palms starting itching, next thing you know my upper lip is swelling up.....I thought I was imagining it........but it got worse and worse especially the itching of my hands.......I ended up in the emergency room all night with an IV, Benadryl and Steriods.....I had a pretty severe allergic reaction....but why? I was alone and out of State and freaked out.

No food allergies accept to Calamari, it makes me throw up... So I have to get a list of ingredients from BR on this ice cream and was told to never eat it again and to carry an Epi Pen with me now.........could be chocolate or peanuts........I say it was bad ice cream......now I am almost scared to eat.....I also wonder if it is a delayed reaction to the bee sting 4 days before......

So I call my Endo and he says this reaction can worsen my Hashi's....to stay on a antihistamine and antacid like Pepcid or zantac ( blocks histamines) for about 2 weeks.......

I am shocked that I would start having food allergies at 55 ??? None in my family and I can eat anything at all.....have always eaten chocolate and peanuts with no problems.

I had to return my rental car and take 2 flights home yesterday.......airlines lost my luggage....I was drowsy from medication and anxious about this reaction.......I had a terrible day and was scared to eat. I had the worse week ever.....and these health issues are wearing me out........I feel under tremendous stress with my health and having to work the way I do.........

Thanks for listening.........any thoughts about the allergic reactions? do you think our compromised immune systems make us more prone to reactions and illness?

Thanks again........Oleander