View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
(female)

xheffalump HB User
Re: concern for 18 yo stepdaughter with possible PD

You cannot really suspect your step-daughter to suffer from a "personality disorder", because the phrase alone means nothing. There are not really any symptoms or behaviours that apply to all Personality Disorders, so there is no way you could tell if somebody was suffering from one unless you had a rough ideas of the specific behaviours of the one you suspect.

Did you mean that she might be suffering from BPD? Because it sounds a little bit like that to me. If so, I feel sorry for you and her. It is a very difficult, challenging condition that really does inhibit day-to-day life for the sufferer, and therefore those close to her also.

The disorder was destroying my relationships, destroyed my education, destroyed my prospects of a good career and moreover, has destroyed me as a person. I no longer know who I am, what I want or where I'm going in life.

I suggest you try harder to get her help, and fast. I'm now having DBT which is supposed to be very helpful. The only problem I see is that she's 18, and if she doesn't want the help then you cannot force it on her.

As waratah said, I would also encourage self-help books. I have "The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide" by Kim Gratz and another writer, which was relatively helpful. I'm sure there are others out there also.

Last edited by xheffalump; 10-01-2008 at 05:42 PM.