View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
(female)

helena72 HB User
Just need ostomy experienced friends to advise.

Hi, this is my first time to ever post any kind of question on the internet. I am almost 73 years old, female. In May of 08 I had a terrible abdominal infection. Diverticulitis and a "tunnel" it had made into the bladder. I suffered for many months and no one knew what was causing it. Then one monrning I got up with hight fever and such weakness that I could'nt walk to the kitchen. My feces was being lost through the urethera. Long story, short I went to the em and was immediaterly given antibotics, blood, etc., and scheduled for surgery the next morning. They first did the bladder cleaning out, repairs and such, then scheduled me for colon surgery two days later. I hardly remember waking up. When I did I learned that I had a colostomy bag. To say I was in shock is to put it mildly. Scared for the next three days and almost in a coma.

I remained there for the next 13 days. Hardly able to sit sideways, much less walk. I finally made it on my feet long enough to get them to dismiss me. They did, with catheter intact and a health nurse coming daily to show me how to change the bag which I still couldn't accept as part of me. I hate this being so long but I want you all to know that you are not the only ones who have denied this attachment to your bodies.

It took me about a month to get to the point that I could manage the thing.
My doctor said it would be Oct. before he could do the reversal surgery. I went in to see about having it done but he wouldn't consider doing it because I was still so weak. Now I am trying to build up my strength and hopefully get it done. But, also right now I am having second thoughts about it. I learned that I have PMR which was causing many symptoms I thought was because of the original surgery. I was put on Prednisone three weeks ago and feel so good I hate the thought of going through all that again. Plus, and this is a big plus, I have learned so much about taking care of myself and the ostomy pouch! I don't mind it at all. It has become a routine and so predictable! I just went on my first overnight trip since the surgery and it was amazing. Hardly as much trouble as I went through before. No unexpected and urgent stops. All was under control. As far as odors, there are none. The charcoal filter takes care of that and watching what I eat which was the same as before.
If anyone out there can talk with me about this I would appreciate knowing your experience as to the decision to reverse or not. The pros and cons, etc. I have heard that sometimes it can make matters worse. Thanks for hearing me out with this long letter. If I can be of help to anyone else about this experience please let me know. I feared it so bad at first as I know you all did too. Thanks again.