View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Hi newbie here with questions :)

Cammie96,
Welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family!

I am a 33 year old mother of three.
I am 33 too! I have only been able to have one successful pregnancy.

I could eat anything and never gain weight lol... Me too! My pregnancy was my trigger too! VERY COMMON!
Then when i got pregnant with my oldest 13 years ago I weighed 110 lbs. I gained 60 lbs with her even though i was throwing up 24/7. I had morning noon and night sickness too! This is getting a bit freaky.
I had her full term and she was healthy I recieved a depo shot for birth control after and had a reaction and bled for 10 months straight!!! My son was born 35 weeks 10 pounds very healthy. I breastfed for 10 months and then tried to go back on the pill. Initially I didn't have a period for a LONG while. I had to jump start mine. I was warned off the Depo shot by my OB SIL. I was guided to Yasmin.
I thought that was odd. So after that she turned two and I dropped the weight i was down to 104 lbs and i had anxiety, shakes, could not sleep, etc. That happened off and on for years just thought it was anxiety lol...
These are early hyperthyroid signs and could signify Hashimoto's in its early stages. Have you had your antibody levels tested?
Then had my second child gained 50lbs and she was born healthy as well. I never dropped all the baby wieght. When she was around three i started getting bad anxiety, chest pains, could not sleep and racing heart.
This can be Hashimoto's and some other endocrine side order issues. in particular adrenal issues. I need to see your actual testing levels and ranges.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I was told again it was anxiety, well for me when i get pregnant the anxiety usually gets better, so I found out i was pregnant with my thrid and everything was way different. I had panic attacks 24/7, my heart raced all day and night, i would wake up choking and gasping for air, i could not sleep, i was hot, my hands and feet were horribly hot all the time, my DR thought it was just hormones and said it would get better. Well it didn't it only got worse, i never gained a pound. I spotted at 5 weeks and I kept getting sicker. I lost over 35 lbs during my pregnancy, was on bedrest all of my pregnancy and saw several DR's. none of which could tell me anything. I really hate MDs that refuse to test the obvious and just prefer to put it on us as in our heads. *snort*
I saw an Enod DR and he suspected hyperthyroidism, tried me on meds but i could not tolerate the meds. So i just dealt with it. So, here are my levels from that timeYEAH I wanted these first off! I am a numbers girl!
TSH 0.12 (0.3-2.5) Is the actual range these days. Just so you know. This shows that you are hyperT according to your pituitary glands view of things.

FreeT3 2.2 (2.4-4.2) You are -11.1% of normal range. This is not good.
FreeT4 1.2 (0.7-1.8) You are 45.5% of normal range here. OKAY! You have a horrible thyroid hormone balance. Your T4 levels are just suboptimal in range. Your FT3 level is in the toilet! You need to check two things as a result of this finding. Your adrenal function in particular are your ACTH and cortisol 8 am fasting blood levels high. If so you need to pursue hyperadrenalism testing. You also need to test your T4 to T3 conversion. You need an RT3 test. If this is high you need T3 supplementation.

Total thyroid hormone values are irrelevent when pregnant OR when you have the FTs. You only really need the FTs, these are the most accurate and have the least issues with hormonal interference (A must for women).
You also need thyroid antibody testing. TPOAb and TGAB I suspect our good old friend Hashimoto's at work here. It just smacks of that tricky AI thyroiditis in its early phase.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ My son was born three weeks early and spent 16 days in the NICU he was 5' 15 ounces. I think that was due to my thyroid. I still continued to drop weight and lost a pant size a week for months after he was born. Oh and i had stroke like migrains during my pregnancy and after. I occasionally get them now. I had my levels checked after i had him and my TSH was around 1.2.
TSH 2.8 (0.3-2.5) This would be hypothyroid by the most recent 2006 A A C E recommendation. It would almost be hypothyroid by the 0.3-3.0 2002 recommendation. What TSH normal range is your Endo using. He cna not trust the labs to keep up to date. This one isn't!

Free T4 is 0.9 (0.6-1.6) You are 30% of normal range here. This is suboptimal for a woman of childbearing years. My MFM and OB stand by the 50-80% of normal is where a woman should be in FT range. Your Endo should as well.

Total T3 is 154 referance range is 87-178. There is more than 20% error in this test. You needed and Ft3.

My DR says i am within normal range but i have gained over 30lbs and counting. diet and excersize do not help. I am tired and have no motivation, I am still hot all the time, get racing heart, hot hands and feet and my hair and skin is horrible dry. my nails break, my hair falls out easily or breaks off. I am spacey, cant remember anything anymore its terrible. This has been going on for a year and a half with these symptoms. Can anyone help me?? My DR will not reffer me to an endocrinologist. I don't know what to do Any help or comments would be helpfull, thanks
I do not think you are normal. i think you are subclinical hypothyroid and most likely suffering from Hashimoto's to boot. You need additional testing.

TSH 3rd generation
Ft3
Ft4
TPOAb
TGAb
RT3

This will cover any thyroid issues. Depending on what these return as I may recommend adrenal testing. If you have Hashimoto's it can be passed to the children across the placenta barrier. Given the swings in your thryoid during pregnancy your Endo should have tested you for the AIT conditions. ESPECIALLY GRAVES TSI and TRAb wehn you were hyperT! UGH! We tend to have to drive our own thyroid treatment and diagnosis. If you want more insight, look into my thyroid care and concerns thread series. These are my written research findings and opinions on thyroid care and management.

MG