View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: why dimensia symtoms worsen

Dementia gets worse, because once the process has begun, no one knows how to stop it. Yet! There is research being done which may provide a cure within the next 5 years.

Meanwhile, your husband should go to a doctor for an examination. If he has been put on Aricept, his doctor suspects dementia. But there are other causes of forgetfulness and memory loss. If possible he ought to visit a neurologist and have a brain scan, just to rule out other causes which may be reversible.

Meanwhile, if he has Dementia you will have to gradually take charge of more and more, since his memory will fail little by little and he will not be able to do what he does now. You should be fully aware of the family financial status, have power of attorney over all his accounts and a medical directive giving you access to his medical records and reports.

It all sound scary and daunting, but you don't need to do this all at once. Do you have any grown up children? If so they can be a great help in standing by you as you get things done. Inform yourself about this disease, and have some idea of what is coming at you, so that you will not be shocked as it gets worse.

In my case my mother had it. It took about 8 to 10 years to go from a fully functioning independent adult to a child like person unable to think for herself.

Many people on this Board also have a husband or wife with this condition, and I am sure you will get many answers to your letter. Good luck, and God bless you!

Love,

Martha