View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Smile So far so good - first PSA, third round/ninth year IADT

I'm delighted to be able to report this progress on Thanksgiving Day 2008:

My PSA dropped nicely to 2.27 on November 12 from 9.53 on September 3 at about the two month point since stopping thalidomide (September 17) and resuming Casodex (September 18) and then Lupron (September 26) . (I'm on 10 mg of finasteride continuously, plus Boniva for bone density, simvastatin to lower the risk of lethal prostate cancer plus heart health benefit, and a supportive program of diet/nutrition/supplements, exercise, and stress reduction.)

While many of us have sharper PSA drops when starting the heavy duty drugs, my PSA declines have been slower than average during both the first and second rounds of blockade, no doubt due to the extensiveness of the cancer (1999 baseline PSA 113.6, Gleason 4+3=7 per expert, all cores positive with most 100% cancer, perineural invasion, but scans negative). I'm actually seeing the PSA drop a bit faster during the start of this third round.

I was confident that triple blockade would work again for me, at least at the start, since my PSA was at <0.01 when I stopped the heavy duty drugs the last time, but it's reassuring to see that expected PSA result. I'm fairly confident I'll have another successful cycle of IADT (IADT = Intermittent Androgen Deprivation Therapy, aka triple hormonal therapy, aka triple hormonal blockade), but the tenth and eleventh years for many IADT patients are the period when IADT no longer adequately controls the cancer. (If that happens, I'll probably try some short-term tactics and then move to Ketoconazole plus hydrocortisone instead of the Casodex.)

I am now at virtually the nine year point since that fateful first ever PSA test on December 4, 1999 revealed a PSA of 113.6. After being rejected for surgery (not a wise choice by me for my case as I soon learned) and turning away from radiation, hormonal blockade, which evolved to triple blockade within the first year and later to intermittent blockade, has been my only therapy.

I'm feeling good and enjoying life - a lot to be thankful for today!!!

Jim