View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #13
(male)

flyfisher37 HB Userflyfisher37 HB Userflyfisher37 HB User
Re: Salvage radiation after Hormone Therapy?

Hi Dickiedo,

It must have been discouraging for you to see your cancer return after 5 years from surgery. And then to see it return again after 6 years from having the radiation. I was really upset to find out that my cancer has returned after 3 years from surgery. I can't say for certain that it has returned, but I will know for sure next month. With having had a Gleason 8 cancer, and from what I've read about aggressive cancers of this grade, chances are that it will return. I read that up to 40% of prostate cancer patients will see their cancer return. What a bummer!!

I will probably follow a course of treatment similar to your own in the future. The only nagging question in my mind is where the cancer is. If I knew for sure it was only in the pelvic area, I would opt for the radiation, even if it isn't the latest technololgy. But If the cancer has spread, and there is a good possibilty it has because of the parameters ( negative margins, clear peripheries, no capsular penetration, Gleason 8 ), then ADT would be all thats left for me.

It's only been three weeks since I found out that it might be returning and since I started posting on this board, I gotten a ton of useful information that I will take back to my urologist. It's nice to have some idea of what's going to happen rather than walk into his office totally ignorant.

I'm sure I will have more questions to post as I think of them. I hope that the regulars on this board don't get tired of seeing me.

Lionel