View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
(female)

BadPPH HB User
Re: My Recent PPH Surgery Experience

I had the PPH surgery on 9/17/2008 for stage 3 internal and external hemorrhoids. I was told to expect some discomfort. Everyone heals differently they said, some people return to work the next day, some takes a week, some two weeks. Well, it has been almost 11 weeks for me and I am still in terrible pain.

Here's what happened:

They wanted me to have my first BM around day 2 after surgery. So, I took Milk of Magnesia to help with that. That didn't work, so I had to get some stronger laxative stuff from the drugstore. Finally, started having BM's (mostly diarrhea, lots of blood). I was also having lots of pain that the Percocet would not even touch. I can't remember how many nights I slept in the bathtub because that was the only thing that would relieve the burning sensation inside.

I went back for my 3 week checkup and the doctor was concerned with all the swelling and assumed that was the reason for the pain. Right around that time, I started having pretty explosive, loose BM's between 10-15 times per day. This has gone on for approximately 7 weeks and I have lost 15 pounds from it. Surgeon keeps saying it's because everything is so swollen that my intestines cannot hold anything inside.

So, I went for a second opinion a week ago. This doctor thinks that my hemorrhoids are about three times larger than before the operation most likely because of all the bowel movements. The bm's are caused by muscle spasms and they are working to get those under control. After those are under control, this doc is planning to recommend the traditional hemorroidectomy.

I am at my wit's end with this. This has been the worst experience of my entire life. I would not recommend the PPH surgery to anyone. They made it sound like it was such a minimallly invasive, simple procedure. Turns out, after this happened, I have researched so many complications that I would have never agreed to have this done.

Does anyone have any similar stories? Just looking for some advice/comments.