View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: Salvage radiation after Hormone Therapy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher37 View Post
Hi Jim,

... You make a good case for salvage radiation, even though I dread to think of the side effects. I will see my urologists on the 17 th of this month, and I hope he has time to sit down and talk to me at length about my concerns and some of the remedies that he can perform.
...Lionel
I'm glad to be able to help.

Can you also consult a medical oncologist about hormonal blockade? Dr. Fernand Labrie, an expert and pioneer in hormonal blockade at Laval University in Quebec is not too far from you (same time zone?), and he or a close colleague would probably be able to address the benefits of hormonal therapy in detail as well as how to manage any risk from the option of deferring radiation, as well as the reverse - radiating now, probably with supportive hormonal blockade. Perhaps he would even answer questions over the phone. I've been surprised that some leading experts in the US will sometimes do that without charge.

By the way, Dr. Labrie is not large in size but he has a powerful personality. I've heard some other leaders advise taking his opinions with a grain of salt, or even the whole salt shaker, but their caution may be because he is well in the forefront of new developments rather than because he is wrong. I don't know how you can tell for sure at this point. (I'm convinced he is not correct that continuous hormonal blockade is better than intermittent blockade for appropriate patients, but I also believe his view is reasonable, respectable and rooted in evidence. I and the leading oncologists I attend to closely just think that other evidence is more persuasive.)

Toronto also probably has some experts in hormonal blockade, but none are prominent enough in communicating with the survivor community in the US to come to mind, in contrast to Dr. Labrie and a well-known prostate cancer oncology research community in Vancouver.

Jim