View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #19
(male)

flyfisher37 HB Userflyfisher37 HB Userflyfisher37 HB User
Re: Salvage radiation after Hormone Therapy?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. After reading your posts and checking out various websites about the pros and cons of hormone therapy and salvage radiation, I am still, at this point in time, uncertain as to which path I should pursue. I would like to have the salvage radiation first before anything else, just to satisfy myself that I'm am indeed trying every method available to beat this disease. If that fails, then of course hormone therapy would be my only recourse and I would be okay with that. After reading your latest post about the benefits of adjuvant radiation ( salvage radiation in my case ), I can see a lot of merit in going that route. Of course, as I mentioned before, with the scar tissue problems I had before, I know that side effects are cumulative and I will end up with severe bladder neck scar tissue problems. This was one of the first things my urologist wanted me to be aware of when I last talked to him. And of course, fecal incontinence can also be a problem. If it wasn't for these unwanted side effects, I wouldn't hesitate to have the radiation before attempting anything else.

I think the best thing for me to do before I get too wound up trying to resolve this situation, is to wait and talk to my urologist and see what he recommends. And the Juravinski Cancer Center in Hamilton has lots of highly qualified personel and some of the latest equipment from what I understand. They do have a PET scanning machine there, but I don't know if it is useful for locating prostate cancer cells. They also have a cyclotron, but I have no idea what that would be used for. I do know that they are always looking for candidates for clinical trials. Maybe I could get involved with something like that. I would like to talk to some of the oncologists and EBR personel there before I make up my mind. I'm sure I will have that opportunity soon.

Thanks again for your suggestions and information. That helps a lot!! Lionel