View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
OneCharmedMom OneCharmedMom is offline
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 54
OneCharmedMom HB User
Ovarian cysts: Complex 2 months and now surgery....

I had been bleeding for 9 weeks and went in to the OB where she did an U/S. She told me that I most likely had suffered a miscarriage. I had not known that I was pregnant, in fact, I had taken a preg. test and it was neg. She said that she could not be 100% however my uterine lining was very thick. She also measured a functional cyst, but said it was nothing to worry about. I continued to bleed for another 2-3 weeks (she had decided to not give me progesterone due to the fact that it had looked as if I was at the tail end of passing all that remained of the blood) and then began to have moderate abdominal pain.

One night the blood became bright red and the pain became severe and I called the on-call physician who said to go into the E.R. I was given a battery of tests and seen the following day by my OB who then told me that one of my cysts had erupted and I had a 'large' 5 cm. functional cyst on my right ovary. Sadly, birth control has never been my friend thus it would not be an option for my treatment, so we decided to wait 2 weeks and repeat a scan and re-evaluate at that time. The pain continued, though the bleeding stopped. Also,after eating or drinking fluids I have pressure in my abdomen which makes the pain worse.

The next scan (last Wed) showed that the cyst measured 2.7 cm. and another on the left ovary at 2.5 cm. Which was all well and good but we still needed to find the source of the pain...My OB ordered a contrast CT to explore a few options.(hernia, diverticulitis etc)

This Sunday afternoon, the pain became severe and I actually vomited. Again, I called the on-call physician and he said that I should go immediately to the ER. They did a CT and it showed the cysts at 5.5 cm (although as I'm sure many of you know, this is not always completely accurate).
My OB received the reports today and wants to remove both cysts this Friday despite the conflicting reports.

Any insight? I know that the surgery itself is fairly minor being outpatient - assuming it goes according to plan, that is.
Should I be in severe pain with this size of cysts? Have anyone heard of the functional cysts filling up that fast in so many days? I know that the CT is not the mode of choice when measuring cysts. My OB is basically going in on my 'pain'. just wondering if anyone can offer any insight.

Sorry for such a long post. I am no stranger to surgery, however it is my first since being a mom - and it seems different. I've never been too nervous before, this time I am. Even for something this minor.