View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
(male)

PhilJG HB User
Advice re GERD/Esophageal cancer symptoms

Hi all

Just hoping that I can get some advice and peace of mind about my symptoms. I have an appointment with my doctor next week but this is worrying me a bit.

I have had a persistent cough for about a month, mainly after eating. I also had a mough ulcer right at the back of throat during that time that may have helped to irritate things. I do suffer a bit from indigestion and acid reflux but never enough to bother me. I had gastritis last year which was cleared after a short spell on medication.

After some research online I have come to the conclusion that GERD is the problem. The cough is generally dry but I do get the feeling of a bit of a lump at the back of my throat at times when swallowing. I suffer from wind a lot too and seem to spend half my time belching. I think I have a bit of a head cold for the past few weeks that I am not shaking which might also be confusing the dry cough symptoms.

I know the recommendations are to eat smaller portions, eat more slowly and lose weight, (I have gradually gone from about 200lbs to about 250lbs over the past 5 years).

The reason I worry is that my grandmother passed away from esophageal cancer aged 78 and my mother died from the same illness aged 46. I am only 29 and I know from research that this form of cancer is very rare in people under 50 and even rarer in those under 40.

Are all my symptoms common enough to GERD and am I worrying more than necessary?

PS, I also have some milid back pain near the shoulder blade, which again sometimes points to cancer, or is this also common with GERD?

Last edited by PhilJG; 01-03-2009 at 08:04 PM.