Thread: My Son is Sick
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
(male)

8800GTS HB User
Re: My Son is Sick

Wow...

This is the best thread I've seen on this website! Finally, someone has shown the dedication, the compassion, the self-sacrifice for those whom are labelled, "mentally-ill..." And above all, the pure - genuine, "HONESTY," that fills the hearts of those who are so willing to do what it takes to help, "US..."

One thing that really got me enthralled by your post CJK... Is that its honest... Not only does it talk about YOUR point of view; but it helps US understand what its like when things go, "BAD," when all that is expected is, "GOOD..." And thanks to your insight into your Son's point of view; others who read your post; will hopefully get something from it; like I most definitely have... Something that is MEANT to be learnt from, "Mentally-ill," stories / situations... Something; that - as you have stated - should come from having experienced first hand; what its like to live with / care for; someone whose been aflicted with this terrible illness...

Wow... The fact that those nurses laughed... Well thats just something I cannot describe in words... Atleast not on this forum. Those are feelings that arise when I read what happened to you and your son... And I honestly can't understand; how someone whose sworn an OATH; as you have stated; could have / would have the nerve; to loose control of their own well-being - and aim it right at someone whose in dire need of help... That same person whom literally; keeps them employed...

Kinda interesting when you look at it... How these, "nurses," have gone through atleast 2 - 4 years of school - not to mention, "training," and still not have an understanding of what its like to be, "mentally-ill..." They are human; and they should - even without 2 - 4 years of school / training - be able to understand what it means to, "CARE," for someone... They obviously have no care; for others - which to my understanding (And to the definition of nurse in the dictionary) defeats / contradicts; the purpose of their very job... Sad... But true... Wonder if they learnt anything from it - or they're just going to, "ALLOW," history to repeat itself...

I don't know if you've read this book, but pick it up anyways... Its called, "The Soloist..." Its a true story - written by an L.A. Times writer - published awhile back... (Fairly new) Its about a writer; whose been introduced to the life of a mentally - ill person... And he becomes his, "friend..." However... Just like you have written on your previous post - it is honest... And not only does that allow better understand / insight; into the situation... It helps people make the right decisions / judgments, etc... And maybe thats exactly what those nurses needed... Is for someone to help them understand - first hand - what its like to know someone - be someone; with a mental-illness... And even though, they are the last people who should be laughing at something so serious - they are just as confused as You are... As your Son is... As, "WE," fellow - mentally-ill, are... Its a confusing cycle; and its not something that we learn about until we NEED; to learn about it... Sadly... Its true...

What I'm trying to say is - from what you've stated; you really HAVE learnt something from all that you've seen / experienced during the duration of your son's illness... And at the end of your post - you almost questioned; whether or not you would learn something from all of it... Whether; your second child; your husband, or yourself; would / could learn something - that could potentially make things easier for yourselves, your first child - or others... Well, I can honestly say - that if you came to these forums; and wrote what you just wrote (WHICH YOU DID) I'm guessing that you HAVE learnt - ALOT: About your current situation / circumstance...

But what are you going to do about it? There are alot of people who are battling stigmatization of the mentally-ill... And that book, "The Soloist," has actually been made into a feature film starring Robert Downey Junior, and Jamie Foxx... The trailers online - check it out... But that story - is exactly the same message I got from your story - pertaining to your first born son... And that is EXACTLY the kind of thing - that NEEDS to be told, wherever it can be; so that everyone can get a better understanding of what it is, that afflicts 1% of the population - without any kind of warning... And the sad thing is; until we start to do something about it - "WE," ALLOW - HISTORY TO REPEAT ITSELF...

Anyways, I'm rambling, I basically wanted to say I appreciate everything you stated - its all good and pure - and honest; and thats certainly something that could benefit the lives of so many people... Both Mentally - ill; and non-mentally - ill...

Thanks,