Thread: Bladder pain
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: Bladder pain

Hello! I understand your pain. What you could be experiencing is interstitial cystitis which is a common FMS ailment. Of all the symptoms I've endured with FMS, this one just about drove me crazy. Felt like I had a binder clip attached to my "hoo hoo" and the pain in my bladder was awful.

As much as you do not want to hear this, you should have a cystoscopy done in a Urologists office to confirm what this is or is not. Have you been to a urologist yet?

The five most common dietary triggers for painful attacks of IC are cranberry juice, coffee, carbonated beverages, tomatoes and tobacco. Vitamin C supplements can be a problem due to its acidic composition. Cranberry is useful if you have a bladder infection, but in IC, the acid composition will increase pain.

Partial relief can be attained by neutralizing urine acidity of drinking half a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water 3 times per day. A diet supplement known as Prelief - which is calcium glycerophosphate - can achieve the same ends as the baking soda.

If the diagnosis is "IC" there are different therapies the doctor can use that will offer some relief. Sometimes a bladder installation is used, which could contain a cocktail of different drugs. Elavil and other tricyclic antidepressents can help cut pain perception and might be useful. Antihistimines can also be useful, combined with other therapies, because they work on mast cells, which in IC release histamines and causes local pain and irritation. Ditropan or Levsin are useful to help bladder spasms.

Don't accept this lack of attention by the doctors you have seen. Persist, persist, persist. I was so angry after reading your post. I have been experienced so many medical diagnosis mishaps, but the one thing I did right was to keep going until I had my answer.

Bye!
Kirstee