View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
(female)

GoOrioles HB User
TSH of 100 While T4 and Free T3 Are in "Normal" Ranges

On a recent set of thyroid tests (TSH, T4 and free T3 were tested), the results showed my T4 to be very low (this is to be expected because I am on a T3-only hormone replacement regimen, i.e., cytomel only), and my T4 was in the middle of the lab reference range for "normal," while my TSH scored an incredibly high 100. Both my doctor and I were shocked by the extremely elevated TSH result. I was not feeling symptoms of any change when I scored this 100 TSH level. During the subsequent month I noticed that my dosage of cytomel (T3) seemed to begin to be becoming slightly inadequate, so I increased it from 18.75 mcg am and pm to 25 mcg am and pm. I continued the increased cytomel dosage for four days, until I began to feel slightly over-medicated on this. I returned to an 18.75 mcg am and pm dosage, taking a 25 mcg dosage on only three other subsequent days (and then only in the am). During this same period, I've noticed that my skin has been especially dry, I had begun to feel depressed for no apparent reason (this is one symptom that prompted me to increase the cytomel dosage and the of depression was relieved by the increase). Also, my weight has increased to 158 pounds, from my normal weight of between 145 to 150 pounds. I'm wondering whether, since my thyroid disease (Haisimoto's thyroiditis) is a progressive auto-immune disease, whether the extremely elevated tsh of 100 may have resulted from my pituitary detecting (somehow) a decline in the health of my thyroid which wasn't apparent at the time in my T4 and free T3 results, but which later became apparent to me symptomatically. Even so, a score of 100 on TSH does seem awfully high when T4 is pretty nearly as low as it has been the last few years when I've been taking T3-only hormone replacement, and my free T3 levels were recorded as being within "normal" range. Anyone have any thoughts as to what may be going on here? Thanks.

Last edited by GoOrioles; 01-23-2009 at 10:44 AM.