View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Anemia and Gluten Intolerance

The small intestine will show some sort of damage ~usually~ (or abnormal results), to the Villi, they tend to be flattened to different degrees. A biopsy is considered the "gold standard" for diagnosis not the blood test alone. However, my doctor first did the scopes and nothing was noted. Next, I kept after him about malabsorption issues so, this is the test he chose to do a year later. Audrey is right, they don't always do all the tests that are required, and some patients (like the two of us) have to stay on the docs to get them. There are 3 blood tests to get and you also have to make sure that your doctor has tested with the right ones. You can have slight gluten sensitivity that may show up on one of the three, even if it doesn't show on the other two. Something like that anyway. They don't always do the correct ones. Some people go on not to get the scope and they never really know, and they could be suffering. I can post the test names for you later on if you are interested to compare with your labs. FLFLOWERGIRL