View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
(female)

catlover82 HB User
Re: long term effects of paxil?

How long have you been on Paxil?

I was on paxil for 5.5 years. Getting off of it was pretty nasty (I had wicked panic attacks), you're right in that. I'm not really sure if I "grew up" or if it was the paxil (I started when I was just turning 21 and stopped when I was 26 1/2), but I found I wasn't "the same" when I stopped taking it and was unmedicated. According to my psychologist the long term effects of anti depressants on personality is somewhat unknown so I think it may be a little of both.

Physically, I found the paxil messed around with my weight (my weight seemingly yo-yo'd on paxil whereas it was pretty stable before hand. when I went off the paxil I was down 10 pounds from my starting weight), and I definitely had some sexual side effects that didn't completely go away after I stopped taking it (again I don't know if it's because I'm almost 30 now and you sex drive tends to change as you age), and I had MAJOR changes in my hair that didn't completely correct itself.

Honestly though, there are much better (and safer) AD's out there. Everyone's different but on paxil I was horribly tired (I could sleep for 30+ hours at a time) and felt numb. I switched to something else after not being on anything for about 8 months and I've never felt better. If it's working for you, great, but keep your options open.

I haven't read any scientific research on the matter, but I'm not sure how many trials are still being done on paxil since it isn't really a new drug.

Last edited by catlover82; 02-22-2009 at 01:40 PM.