View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
(male)

clsslc HB User
~ 100 oz. of soda per day: Long-term effects?

I am 22 years old, 5'10" and weight about 170. I have never had weight problems and I feel like I have a pretty good metabolism (perhaps this won't last as I get older). I have never had any medical or dental problems whatsoever, and I've never been a patient at a hospital. I maintain decent dental hygiene as well. I had a two cavities filled when I was really young (7-8 ish), but since have had no cavities and brush regularly enough (usually once a day during the workweek and twice a day on the weekends). I don't have any family history of medical problems of any sort that I am aware of.

About twice a year I prepare for physical fitness tests for the National Guard--each preparation period usually entails me doing a combination of running and jogging for 4-5 miles 3-4 days each week for probably 6 weeks. Once the fitness tests are over and done with, I usually don't do any regular exercise until I need to start preparing for the next fitness test about five months later (these fitness tests are held every 6 months).

Between working full time as a software developer, taking a full-time load of night classes Mondays through Thursdays, drilling once each month, and being involved in church activities on Sundays, I keep quite busy. I'm usually out of the house from 7:45 AM until 10:00 PM. Usually I'll get home, eat dinner with my wife, maybe watch a movie or take care of some errands, and then we'll go to sleep around 1:00 AM. I try to catch up on sleep on Saturdays by just sleeping in, but sometimes Guard drills or other appointments prohibit this.

To keep me feeling decent I've been drinking three 44 oz sodas per day during the workweek (one as I go into work in the morning, a refill at lunch time, and a refill when I leave work for night classes), and I'll have a smaller soda with some meals on the weekend. So considering for the ice volume in the cups and the little bit of soda that mixes with the melted ice that I don't end up drinking, I estimate that I probably drink about 105-106 oz of regular Pepsi each day during the work week and probably around 32 oz of some kind of soda each Saturday. Usually after a few months I'll tire of Pepsi and switch to Coke, and then switch back again after the next few months. I also have been drinking a lot of soda since I was probably 11 or 12---I drank soda daily in middle and high school for lunch, and then usually would have several glasses of soda after school throughout the day (I was a big computer nerd and would spend hours each day on the computer, always with an accompanying soda). This regular consumption at the current volume has been going on for about the last year, and previous to that (when I started my current job) it was probably a bit less (maybe ~ 48-64 oz of soda per day in my previous job).

I feel like I am the only person I know who drinks this much soda. My wife gives me guff sometimes about it, but so far I have not experienced any negative effects (and I have been drinking a lot more soda than anyone I know for the last probably ten years or so of my life). Sometimes I wonder whether this is just because I'm young and sufficient time has not passed for me to be able to discern any negative effects.

My question is this: are there any long-term effects of such soda consumption I should be worried about? I've heard some people remark that one can make him/herself diabetic by consuming too much sugar, but from my cursory research I haven't found anything conclusive on this.

<removed>

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any feedback.

<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-18-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.