View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

cdknmjk HB User
Question 4 Year-Old Son's First Seizure...Why?

On 4/1/09, my husband woke during the night to a hiccup sounding noise coming from our 4 year-old son who was sleeping between us in bed (like usual). At first, my husband thought our son was going to vomit but quickly realized it as a seizure from years in law enforcement. We called 911 immediately. I don't remember our son jerking or convulsing, he was mainly bent inward with arms/legs stiff. In addition, he had saliva coming from his mouth and eyes staring up towards the ceiling. He was completely unresponsive. The actual seizure didn't last long, but it felt like forever. After, he went limp. He was breathing, heart racing fast, and still unresponsive. The EMT's arrived and his vitals were normal, they even *****ed his finger. Our son stayed sleeping during the transport to the hospital and for quite a while once he arrived. He didn't wake up until the CT scan, which came back normal. He's scheduled for an EEG on 4/8/09, but has been fine ever since.

On 3/29 and 3/31, our son bumped his head. Once on a flower pot (top of head) and once on the corner of a wall (back of head). Could this have possibly caused the seizure? Also, as previously mentioned, our son likes to sleep in our bed between us. We have a lot of blankets on our bed and raise the air temperature in the evenings as well. Could this cause a seizure? He didn't have a temperature when the paramedics arrived.

We are so scared this will happen again. We've talked to many parents who have stories about their child having one seizure but nothing more. How can we ever be sure? Also, can Sleep Apnea cause seizures? My oldest son has this but no one in our family has ever had a seizure.

Any advice, guidance, etc would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.