View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Okay I am confused....

ANPRDP,
Are you very much overweight? If not, make sure your doctor did a C-peptide and GAD antibody test on you...and if those were done back in 2001, make them do it again. There's a type of diabetes called LADA or T1.5 which is like T1, but with a much slower onset. If that's what you have, you are definitely going to need both a basal insulin (Lantus) and a rapid-acting insulin to cover your food. And, as Catherine pointed out, you probably need that anyway. The problem with trying to cover everything with just a basal insulin is that you will definitely have lows at certain times...and probably be too high at others. Lantus is supposed to cover just your basic metabolic needs...in other words, the amount of insulin you need if you don't eat anything! It was not made to cover carb ingestion. Adding a rapid-acting insulin, while it means learning how to count carbs and figuring out your ideal insulin to carb ratio, will control your blood sugars much better with fewer highs and lows.

As for testing...I test a minimum of six times a day, and often 8-10 times. My insurance will cover as many strips as I need as long as my doctor writes a scrip for whatever amount I need. Ask your doctor to write a new scrip for the amount you're now using.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 04-08-2009 at 08:16 PM.