View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
(male)

paul2009 HB User
Tinnitus - now my head hurts when I speak

Hi

I am sorry for the long post but am trying to put in all important information and really hoping someone can help me. This is the first time I have posted about this.

I'm a 26 year old male. I've been lucky to have never had serious health problems until this year. In January I was rehearsing with a band one evening, at not particularly loud levels (there was only two of us, he on drums and myself guitar and singing), but for the next two weeks my hearing was 'muddy'. I could not hear clearly. After the two weeks both of my ears 'popped' as if I had been flying, and I could hear clearly in both ears again. About this time, however, I developed a loud, low buzz in my right ear. This was two weeks after the loud music.

The noise has never gone away. It varies between low roar or wind, like being on a plane or in a car, to a low tone and sometimes a sound like a lawnmower in the distance, nasal.

After about two months I went to an ENT. He said it sounded like a virus. I have had an MRI done and will discuss the result with him in two weeks. As far as I know it did not show up anything unusual.

So I have tinnitus. Both my GP and the ENT have told me that that there is little that can be done unforunately. But I have another very annoying accompanying problem which developed over the last two months, which is he main reason for me posting. I cannot seem to find others suffering from this problem in google searches and am hoping that someone out there can give me some information.

When I speak, my head hurts. Some days it is worse than others, but basically my voice, when I move my vocal chords, gives me sharp pains in my head. Every word hits me like a hangover. As a result of this I have become very reclusive and I only speak when I need to. I am anxious about meeting people, friend etc. as I never know if I am going to be able to have a conversation or if the pain will come and make speech impossible. Every day life has become an ordeal. Music has gone out the window, there is no way I can sing. Speech is difficult enough. It feels like my brain is resonating whenever I speak.

Over the last couple of months I did have headaches in general for a lot of the time, and fatigue. Both of these have eased a good bit lately but my speech difficulty remains.

Has anyone experienced this? It's driving me absolutely nuts.

Many thanks