View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

Shannatoo HB User
Re: Omega 3's vs Flaxseed Oil

Flaxseed oil contains high amounts of omega 3's so I'm not really sure what you are asking about (maybe fish oil?). If yes, one isn't any better than the other, it is just your preference. I personally take fish oil and try to eat 1-3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds daily. I really eat the flax for the lignans because I have some hormonal imbalance issues.

Flax oil with lignans have estrogenic effects (flax seeds do NOT contain any estrogen!). The lignans are called phytoestrogens because they have MILD and WEAK positive estrogenic effects in the body. Basically there are tons of things in our environment called xenoestrogens that bind to our estrogen receptors in the body and make us estrogen dominant (chemicals in shampoos, plastics, etc). The phytoestrogens in flax seeds bind to the same receptors, so that xenoestrogens cannot.

As far as rescue remedy, I have no idea. I have been taking GABA supplements every morning and they are proving to be very effective in helping my anxiety. It is safe to take every day and is safe to use long-term as well. GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter which means that is slows down the firing of the neurons (which is exactly what happens when we are anxious, our neurons are firing a little faster than comfortable!)

Good Luck!