View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

Rapsodia HB User
Re: Biopsy for "atypical" fibroadenoma

Hi Linda, thanks for your post. I am sorry you are having to go through all of this, too. I am not sure I'm the one to be giving advice, but I think at least for peace of mind I would have the biopsy. Any time they see a mass the only way they can only confirm it, according to my understanding, is through a biopsy.
To answer your questions: this is a first for me. I am 47 and had not had a mammogram in 3 years. (I go through a free cancer screening for uninsured). A week after the mammo, the doc called and said they need to do a followup just on the right breast. He assured me that this isn't uncommon; then I talked to several women who said they've been called back several times. Two weeks later, I went for the 2nd mammo and the tech said not to get dressed until the radiologist saw it and made a decision. Then another tech came in and said she was doing an ultrasound. Immediately after the ultrasound, the radiologist came in and showed me two solid masses. One he said was definitely a fibroadenoma; the other is likely a fibroadenoma but he said appears 'atypical' and he can't confirm this without a biopsy. I picked up the radiology report the next week and read the conclusion: "suspicous, Correspond to BIRADS 4." This is vague to me, as I've heard that this could mean 23-34% probability of cancer; other places I've read the '4' category ranges from 2-95% (I didn't get a subcategory of A,B, or C). And I know that 80% of biopsies are benign. But now I worry because this mass is described as "atypical fibroadenoma appearing solid mass"- "atypical" because it is "taller than wide." I need to stop reading! I've seen reports that masses that are taller than wide tend to be malignant. (I know there are other aspects, too- mine is well circumscribed, not irregular.) It's just impossible to take this casually (the doctor and radiologist seem to be, although the radiologist admitted that if this was his mother's US finding, he would recommend a biopsy. That tells me he is moderately concerned). I would almost rather they say "it's 50/50; it could go either way" or "it does look worrisome" as I would rather go in thinking omg it could be cancer and be surprised to hear it's benign rather than going in confident it's a benign tumor than be unpleasantly surprised to find out it's malignant. And I hate waiting!
I will be back to report my results- and to give you support and keep up with your reports, too.