View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
(male)

silverandsand HB User
Re: bone marrow and aspiration; high WBC low platelets

You've been getting blood tests for 8 years. If the doctor's haven't worked out what's wrong in that time, I certainly can't. All I can say is that if you do in fact have some form of blood cancer, it's certainly not an acute form, as you would have died inside of 6 months if left untreated. I'm glad they did a bone marrow biopsy, but given that they found nothing suspect, I wouldn't know what avenues they would have remaining to determine a diagnosis. Do you know if they used flow cytometry (FC) with the bone marrow biopsy (BMB)? I understand that FC can be a little more precise in picking up certain cancers than just looking at the BMB under the microscope.

If they didn't already tell you, you probably shouldn't be thinking about doing any high impact sports considering that your platelet counts are lowish. Nothing to be too concerned about, but it can't hurt to be on the safe side.

FYI, it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion at another hospital. Had I not gotten one, I'd be dead, as I was originally diagnosed with the wrong type of cancer and was getting inappropriate chemotherapy as a result. After everyone realized the chemo wasn't working, and they told me they were sorry, but there wasn't anything more that could be done, and that I was going to die, I thought to myself, hmmm...maybe I should get a second opinion, and a third, fourth, and fifth (what did I have to lose). And it was that fifth one, that changed everything, as they decided to run there own tests and more thoroughly, and wouldn't you know it, they came back and said I in fact have a different type of cancer (acute lymphoblastic leukemia) and there was no time to lose and that I need to get started straight away on more appropriate chemo combination. I wish I had second guessed those earlier opinions sooner. So if you're not happy with the current course of action your doctor is taking, get a second opinion. Good luck.