View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

silver22 HB User
Curdled Expressed Breastmilk?

Is it possible?

I express my breastmilk for my son, have been doing so since he was 1 week old. We had latch issues, and nursing just didn't workout. But enough about that...... I have been expressing his milk for nearly 3 mos now (he'll be 3 mos old on 6/4). Every once in a while, however it did happen today, the breastmilk appears to be "curdled" in the bottle. I'm not talking about the normal foremilk/hindmilk separation that just needs a good shake to mix it up. I'm talking "cottage-cheesy" and "won't mix in" with a good shake. It truly looks like curdled milk.

Anyone heard of this before? I have had to discard, but just wondering why it happens so I can avoid it. I hate throwing out my liquid gold!! I have read on the internet that it could be from warming too fast or possibly some contaminant that remains in the bottle (i.e. residual dish soap). I don't think it could be from warming, we give the milk to DS either on the cool side - straight from the fridge with a quick hand warm up - just just by letting come to room temperature for an hour sitting out on the counter. I would find it more believable that the soap wasn't fully rinsed out well from the bottle.

Let me know if anyone else has had such issues.

silver