View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

Emory HB User
Hives and Hashimoto's

I will just start at the beginning. About 4 months ago, I woke up covered in hives and have not had one hive free day since then. I have also had several episodes of angioedema that are not controlled by anything. After several doctors, prednisone, antihistamines,etc., I was about to give up. Through the internet I learned that my hives could be autoimmune related and began to realize that I had many symptoms of an autoimmune disorder. I went to my GP and literally had to beg him to draw blood to see if I had an autoimmune problem. He told me that he had never heard of hives being related to an autoimmune disease. He begrudgingly took my blood and found out that my thyroid antibodies were very elevated and that the ANA test was positive. So, he sent me to a rheumy who basically said, "Well, you don't have lupus." Okay, I thought, so what's with the hives? Long story short, FINALLY found a doctor who said I had Hashimoto's disease. I have been taking 100 mcg (?) of levothroid for 2 weeks now with no improvement in my hives. I guess my problem at this point is that antihistamines really aren't doing a good job (I have tried Allegra, Zyrtec, Benadryl, Singulair, Zantac, Claritin and many different combos of them all.....all to no avail). I am getting so depressed and I was hoping that someone out there understands my pain and frustration and may be able to help me cope until we get this figured out. My family (both immediate and extended) have been fantastic, but I really don't know how to deal with this anymore. Being itchy, swollen, and miserable 24 hours a day for 4 months is really taking an emotional toll on me. I sincerely hope there is someone out there who can relate. I really hate to be a baby about this, but I really want my life back. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.