View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Morphine vs Duragesic patch (fentanyl) for cancer pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshka View Post
Her pain is typical cancer pain (due to growing tumor and nerves getting pressed) and is there round the clock.

Is there any other better altnernative then morphine and durageisc.
Welcome to Healthboards I'm very sorry to hear about your sister.

Yes, there are many alternatives to morphine and the Duragesic Patch. The med your sister is on now, is at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of strength. Morphine and the patch are quite a ways up from that. There are many meds in between.

What it comes down to is how much pain your sister is in. Pain is usually rated on a pain scale of 1-10, with 10 being the worst pain you can imagine. Most people's pain varies, depending on flair ups & etc. It would be practially impossible for me (or anyone) to suggest a particular med....Again, it's all based on how much pain someone is in. Hopefully, her Doctor is very compassionate and will treat her pain accordingly. Personally, I wouldn't get too caught up in a specific med, but rather if she is comfortable or not.

If her pain is constant, then some type of long acting med may be appropriate and then another med for BT (break thru) or flair ups, if needed.

Take care, and all the best for your sister.

Regards,

Ex