View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Alternatives to Hysterectomy?

My SIL is planning on having a hysterectomy this week. She's had extremely heavy periods, and they tend to last for 7-10 days at a time, and it is causing her to be slightly anemic, hence the hysterectomy. Her doctor told her to take birth control pills in order to control the bleeding, and iron pills in order to combat the anemia. She only takes the birth control pills every once in a while, and she only took the iron pills once because she didn't like them. But she's gone and told her doctor that she's doing everything he told her to do, and she is insisting on the hysterectomy (partially due to her mother insisting that it's what she needs....).

I think she believes the hysterectomy is going to be this magical cure that will make everything all better for her. I am really worried for her though. I have read a bunch of things about hormonal issues, weight gain, lack of sexual desire, moodiness, and higher risk of cancer after hysterectomy. Should I be concerned? Should I try to talk to her about it? I just don't think she's really looked at the whole picture. But I don't want to freak her out either.... any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!