View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

nannie8 HB User
Vitamin D Deficiency - Need information

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency about a month and a half ago by my rheumatologist. I was put on 50,000 IU D supplements, once a week. I am to meet with her again in August after being on this for a few months.

I'm confused as to how I could have gotten this. I live at high altitude (CO) and get plenty of sunlight, even though I don't go out and "tan." I walk and hike a lot and play outside with my dogs. I do work indoors, but I also live in the sunniest state and in my opinion, get plenty of sunlight. I moved to CO 3 years ago from the East Coast.

I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, grains, etc. My diet is fairly healthy, though I do occasionally eat "junk."

I had an abdominal hysterectomy about 8 months ago (kept my ovaries, so I am not in perio or menopause whatsover. I was tested for that).

I gained some weight since surgery and quitting smoking; I could lose about 15 pounds, maybe a little more.

So...I don't smoke, I get outside, I have a mostly healthy diet, I don't drink alcohol, so what else can be causing a Vitamin D Deficiency? What are the risks?

Thanks for any help!!