Thread: Fish Oil
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
(male)

dgillmore HB User
Re: Fish Oil

I know supplementing with fish oil is very popular by people wanting to make sure they are getting essential fatty acids (EFAs). I have been doing it too, but I just ran across a very convincing report by a health researcher that points out that there are only two essential fatty acids, linoleic acid (LA) and linolenic acid (ALA). He refers to these as 'parent' omega-6 & omega-3 respectively. He then states that fish oil contains mostly omega-3 derivative oils NOT essential fatty acid.

He then points out that in nature omega-6 & omega-3 EFAs usually occur together with omega-6 predominating. He is emphatic that omega-6 EFA is crucial to our long-term health. Omega-6 oils get a bad rap because they turn into damaging trans-fatty acids when hydrogenated, fried, grilled or otherwise exposed to high cooking temperatures.

His most unsettling statement is that supplementing with predominantly omega-3 derivative oils can suppress your immune system, reduce oxygen carrying capacity of our cells, increase risk of cancer, increase bruising, reduce injury healing, not protect the heart and the list goes on...

Last edited by moderator2; 08-04-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: do not post off board searches