View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: ??My Dads psa at 100...help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasBabycakes View Post
...Please tell me something other than cancer could cause this PSA to rise so much so fast,
Thank You so much,

Pasbabycakes
Hello and welcome to the board.

There is a good chance of cancer, but in view of your dad's history, if that first biopsy was negative despite a high PSA, that leaves open the possibility that a prostate infection has caused the high PSA, or at least some of it, possibly a lot of it.

Apparently it is not uncommon for infection to boost PSA as high as 50, though usually the rise is considerably smaller. I've heard of one case where the PSA rose to 200 due to infection, before falling to normal once the right antibiotic was found.

No wonder you are afraid, with all that prostate cancer around people who are important in your life. But even if your dad has prostate cancer , it's likely some promising approaches will be open to him.

I'm hardly the typical patient with low-risk case characteristics in this era of PSA screening, but I too had a very high PSA and have now survived for nearly ten years and am doing quite well. My baseline, first ever PSA was 113.6 in December 1999 , and it rose to 125 due to a mediction effect before plunging as expected. I've been on hormonal blockade therapy only since December 1999. Twice my PSA has been reduced to less than 0.01. Both times I stopped the heavy duty drugs and enjoyed a vacation (34 months vacation the first time, 19 the second - for many of us with higher risk case characteristics, vacation time more or less corresponds to how long you are on the heavy duty drugs, which are not chemo drugs).

I'll get back to your questions again later.

Take care and try to keep up your spirits,

Jim