View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Baby fell in the bath....

My baby, 12 months old, was in the bath last night and she kept standing up and plopping down in the water (she thinks it's funny). Well, in the midst of all the fun of bathing 3 little girls, she managed to plop herself right on top of the drain stopper. She screamed her head off, so I got her out and checked her over immediately. I found that she had a red spot on her bottom, about a half inch in diameter, right between her cheeks, about two and a half inches from the top of her crack. I tried to put ice on it, but she thought that was hilarious, and she kept squirming around and was trying to grab the ice pack, so I gave up.

Anyway, today, it looks like a bruise is forming around the red spot. Whenever she pooped (twice today), she cried like it was painful, and she freaked out every single time I changed her diaper, even when she was just wet. The crying while pooping thing wasn't terribly alarming, because she occasionally does that anyway when it's a little bit firm, which the first one was, but the second wasn't at all.... but the freaking out over getting her diaper changed is a little worrisome, because she doesn't do that.

I'm thinking it's just a very tender area right now and maybe that's why she's freaking out??? Is it possible she could have cracked, broken, fractured, etc.... anything down there? Her tailbone or something like that? I would think there would be other symptoms (like issues with sitting, walking, laying, etc....) if that were the case, but I have absolutely NO experience in this kind of situation!

Any ideas, experiences, advice, reassurances, etc.... are all welcome!!! Just please don't tell me I'm a bad mom, or recommend baby tubs, safety seats, or anything like that. I am going to look into something to cover up the drain stopper, so if you know of something for that, I'm listening!!! Thanks!

Last edited by marisuela; 08-09-2009 at 09:06 PM.