View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: I need info on iodine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim1984 View Post
So say I wanted to test the effects of Iodine on my body. How long would I have to incorporate more of it into my diet, in order for it to effect my thyroid and bloodtest results?
Why would you want to "test" this at all? If you know that it could make you very sick, why would you want to "incorporate" more into your diet in the first place? One thing is sure; it won't make your thyroid issue better. "How long? ... how much? "... no one can answer those questions, because it isn't a precise mathematical formula and because your body is unique. Bottom line is, it isn't a very precise method of hyperT treatment in the first place and isn't worth experimenting with.

Food's iodine content varies so widely based on the soil it's grown in that no one can really say what the iodine content of a cup of strawberries is, for example. It depends on too many agricultural variables. The same is true for fish; iodine content varies greatly between species and even among animals of the same species. You can't ever truly know the exact amount of iodine you're ingesting aside from any supplement you might take.

If you're asking whether you can eat seafood once a week because you like it, all you can do is to see what that does to you. Personally, I wouldn't drastically change my iodine consumption, because isn't likely to help and has the definite possibility to make things worse.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-16-2009 at 08:57 AM.